Yield: Serves 6-8
3 pints berries (use boysenberries, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries or a mixture)
11/2 cup + 2 Tbsp. flour
1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp. sugar
21/2 Tbsp. orange zest, grated
2 Tbsp. crystallized ginger, finely chopped
21/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
6 Tbsp. unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces
3/4 cup heavy cream
Oven Temperature: 480-550 degrees
- Toss the berries with 1/3 cup of the sugar, 2 Tbsp. of the flour and 11/2 Tbsp. of the orange zest.
- In a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, add the remaining 1½ cups flour, 2 Tbsp. sugar, 1 Tbsp. orange zest, ginger, baking powder, and salt and pulse to mix.
- Add the butter and pulse again until the mixture resembles oatmeal.
- Add the cream through the feed tube while pulsing just until mixture comes together.
- Pour the berry mixture into a 1½-2 qt. baking dish or 6-8 individual ramekins.
- On a lightly floured surface roll the dough into a ½-in. rectangle. Cut into 6-8 squares and arrange on top of the berries.
- Flame Height: 1
- Bake just inside the doorway of the oven for about 30-35 minutes, rotating once for even cooking, until the fruit is bubbling and the pastry is lightly browned.
- If your oven is hotter than the temperature we suggest or the cobbler is browning too quickly, cover it lightly with foil and remove the foil for the last 5 minutes of the cooking.