Yield: Makes 2 pancakes in 9-inch cast iron skillets or 8 in individual 6-oz. ramekins
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
4 lg. eggs
1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup clarified butter
Oven Temperature: 550-580 degrees
- Combine flour, sugar, salt and eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk together to form a paste.
- Slowly add milk in several additions, stirring well after each.
Flame Height: 2.6
- Heat skillets or ramekins in doorway for 5 minutes. Move to mantle and add clarified butter. (1/4 cup for each skillet or 1 Tbsp. each for ramekins.
- Return to doorway for 5 more minutes.
- Add half the batter to each skillet or fill ramekins 1/3 of the way up.
- Bake in doorway for 6-8 minutes, rotating once, or until the Dutch Baby forms a tall golden brown crown.
- Remove from the oven and if you wish, finish with powdered sugar and a squeeze of lemon. It is also great with fresh fruit, cinnamon sugar, or without the sugar in the batter it can be finished as a savory item with cheese and bacon.
Leave a Review